Parallel NEURON in win systems

General issues of interest both for network and
individual cell parallelization.

Moderator: hines

ttpuff

Parallel NEURON in win systems

Post by ttpuff »

Is that possible to run parallel code with multiple CPUs? Can we use the precompiled version directly? Last time I was told that we have to compile the source code by using ParallelContext in UNIX. The standard precompiled version doesn't work if we want to parallel running.

Like this:

Using ParallelContext?

Install PVM and add

export PVM_ROOT=$HOME/pvm3
source ${PVM_ROOT}/lib/bashrc.stub
export PVM_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh

to nrnenv.

How about win version? Thanks.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Don't use PVM any more. Use MPI. For instructions on how to configure NEURON for
parallel simulation of networks and cells under UNIX/Linux, see
Hines, M.L. and Carnevale, N.T. Translating network models to parallel hardware
in NEURON. J. Neurosci. Methods in press.
Preprint available as
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/ted/neur ... _press.pdf

We are developing a set of instructions, including strategies for dealing with problems
that may arise, that we hope to have ready soon. However, I can tell you that compiling
NEURON for parallel simulation under MSWin is more difficult, partly because it involves
dealing with poorly documented features of, and interactions between, software from
many "third parties." By comparison, dealing with UNIX/Linux was practically a "plug
and play" operation.

In brief, compiling under MSWin requires
1. installing and configuring a cygwin development environment.
2. installing MPICH2 and the appropriate version of .NET.
3. disabling or uninstalling other stuff that interferes with compilation of InterViews
and NEURON under MSWin. The list of things that can interfere includes commonly
used, highly regarded firewalls and antivirus programs.
4. possibly changing certain registry settings to overcome Microsoft-imposed limitations
that may interfere with the configure and compilation process.
ttpuff

Post by ttpuff »

It's great. Currently I do have some difficulties for parallel running, even under UNIX. Waiting for your nice instructions.

[quote="ted"]Don't use PVM any more. Use MPI. For instructions on how to configure NEURON for
parallel simulation of networks and cells under UNIX/Linux, see
Hines, M.L. and Carnevale, N.T. Translating network models to parallel hardware
in NEURON. J. Neurosci. Methods in press.
Preprint available as
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/ted/neur ... _press.pdf

We are developing a set of instructions, including strategies for dealing with problems
that may arise, that we hope to have ready soon. However, I can tell you that compiling
NEURON for parallel simulation under MSWin is more difficult, partly because it involves
dealing with poorly documented features of, and interactions between, software from
many "third parties." By comparison, dealing with UNIX/Linux was practically a "plug
and play" operation.