Java/Neuron problem

AG

Java/Neuron problem

Post by AG »

Dear all,

I am trying to post this question on the MSWin forum rather than on the "Other questions" one. May be it is more adapted to the problem. I am working under windows XP pro and this is precisely what I see when trying to call the java command:

Code: Select all

NEURON -- Version 5.8 2005-5-2 13:16:27 rel5_7_159 (1)
by John W. Moore, Michael Hines, and Ted Carnevale
Duke and Yale University -- Copyright 2001

Created Java VM
java version "1.4.2_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_06-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_06-b03, mixed mode)
oc>load_java("java.lang.String")
ERROR in nrnjava_init : neuron/NrnClassLoader not found
nrniv: Segmentation violation See $NEURONHOME/lib/help/oc.help near line 3
load_java("java.lang.String")
                              ^
load_java("java.lang.String"        )
oc>

to configure the JVM I used

// The full pathname for the Java VM dynamically loadable
//   library is specified here
// two examples for mswin on my machines are
*jvmdll: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll
When I use the older 5.6 version of NEURON, I obtain the correct result and it works. Did anybody encounter such a problem ?

AG.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

Sorry, it is hard for me to run versions of NEURON earlier than my last upgrade to cygwin on my mswin machine. That message, though, seems familiar. When I run my current alpha version I have no problem so I wonder if you could upgrade to the current standard distribution, 5.8.88, and see if that takes care of the problem. http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/v ... -setup.exe

If for some reason, upgrading is not a good option then what happens if you first execute

load_java("neuron.NrnClassLoader", "NCL")
objref ncl
ncl = new NCL()
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

I was wrong about it being difficult to install a version of NEURON older than an already installed newer version of cygwin. Anyway, I did install rel5_7_159 on my mswin machine and still had no problem loading java.lang.String. It turns out I am
using the jvm indicated in the distributed nrn.def file, i.e. c:\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\client\jvm.dll but I don't see why that would matter. Perhaps someone can say if they are able to load a 1.4.... jvm.dll under mswin with a recent version of NEURON.
AG

Got it !

Post by AG »

Well, I must have been a bit lazy on this occasion :-). If you use the latest JAVA and NEURON installation programs it works perfectly. Thanks for Help !

AG.