(NB: Exercises require Neuron software)
Downloads for stand-alone use (preferred)
See README for instructions to recompile package
Installation under MSWindows
Stand-alone installation under Unix/Linux
- Download Neuron
- Download FCTB.zip
- Install Neuron by double clicking on setup.exe
- Unzip FCTB.zip (you can use the unzip program provided with Neuron, C:\nrn\bin\unzip) C:\nrn\bin\unzip C:\tmp\FCTB.zip -d C:\nrn
- The FCTB directory that is created should be placed in the Neuron
installation directory (eg 'nrn', 'nrn55')
- Choose the FCTB directory to create nrnmech.dll;
click 'Choose Directory' button
click on nrn/ in the contents window.
click the 'List Dir' button
click FCTB subdirectory in the contents window.
click the 'List Dir' button the top window should read C:/nrn/Fctb
- Click the 'Make nrnmech.dll' button
the program compiles and says that it made the nrnmech.dll successfully.
press return key to exit.
- Run it; My Computer-> ~/win(C:)->nrn->Fctb->models.html
- Alternatively, Move to the new Fctb directory using "My computer." Double clicking on a figure number will bring up the corresponding exercise.
It will be necessary to compile a special in the mod directory using the nrnivmodl command. The individual figure simulations can then be run by giving the command mod/$CPU/special Fig#-#.hoc - from the command line. Notice the trailing hyphen that prevents the process from exiting.
See the discussion of browser settings below to set the executable as the executor in mime.types. The following script is useful for launching from a browser since it embeds the special in an xterm.
xterm -title "Neuron" -n "Neuron" -e "./hoc/mod/$CPU/special" $1 -
Configuring simulations to load under Netscape, Opera or Mozilla
These browsers depend on configuration of a mime.types file in order to know where to find the program to associate with a particular type of file being read. In general, they all have a preferences menu that alllows you to specify this
- Opera: File->Preferences->Applications->File Types
- Netscape: Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Applications
- Mozilla: Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Helper Applications
In any case you need to add the following information as requested:
- Mime type: application/neuron
- File extensions: hoc
- Application: C:/nrn/neuron.exe [or other path if neuron is elsewhere]
You may have to indicate substitution for the file that is being read: eg, 'neuron.exe %s -'. This procedure does not always seem to work; I've had the most luck getting Opera to work.
Last updated: Feb 23, 2004 (20:26)
Copyright ©2002 WW Lytton, all rights reserved