gcc bug: ___gxx_personality_v0 undefined

Keivan

Re: gcc bug: ___gxx_personality_v0 undefined

Post by Keivan »

hines wrote:What I don't know is whether you were able to use the
configure statements I indicated above to make a working version. i.e no python and no mpi and no flags
other than the ones I indicated.
I can compile successfully with

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=`pwd` CC=gcc-4 CXX=g++-4 LDFLAGS='-Wl,--enable-auto-import'
and

./configure --prefix=`pwd` --with-nrnpython CC=gcc-4 CXX=g++-4 LDFLAGS='-Wl,--enable-auto-import'
I could load my simple model and run it but there is error when using cache efficacy --> error message

oc>cvode_cache_efficient(1)
nrniv: cvode_cache_efficient undefined function
 near line 14
 cvode_cache_efficient(1)
                         ^
cvode_cache_efficient(1        )
but with

./configure --prefix=`pwd` --with-paranrn --with-nrnpython CC=gcc-4 CXX=g++-4 LDFLAGS='-Wl,--enable-auto-import'
also compiles without error but there is no nrniv.dll

I want to be able to use optimization flags. I do not use paranrn because I need IV. also I do not use nrnpython because the code become ugly with python with long unnecessary commands and also because hoc has what I need.
also I noticed that the "make mswin" copies the gcc-3 to the c:\marshalnrn\bin --> which it would be better to copy gcc-4 instead
also I want to thank you hines for your concern and support and quick reply.
I want you know that I am doing what I can to improve neuron.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ps: I realized that the your official windows XP (32bit) version of neuron is faster than my self-compiled optimized version of neuron on Linux (64bit)?! I search for it on internet and there is other similar reports with other applications?!!!!!!!
Linux wins the match only the read and write on the hard disk is an issue or when multitasking with several different programs (but windows is more powerful in parallel threads). if you are interested look this link --> Ubuntu 8.04 LTS vs. Windows XP SP3: Application Performance Benchmark
I also noticed that when compiling with paranrn on Linux there is some performance loss.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

nrniv: cvode_cache_efficient undefined function
the statement should be
cvode.cache_efficient(1)
I noticed that the "make mswin" copies the gcc-3 to the c:\marshalnrn\bin --> which it would be better to copy gcc-4 instead
Either update nrn/src/mswin/batch/instal.sh
or copy gcc-4 to gcc, etc.

I'm going to look into the possibility of folding most of nrncygso.sh.in into Makefile.am so that libtool is used
instead of my manually crafted link steps. Its main purpose was to construct a list of .o files in order to build
a single nrniv.dll .
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

http://www.neuron.yale.edu/hg/neuron/nr ... eaaea86e64
eliminates (I believe) the configure and installation problems so that one can have either
gcc, gcc-3, or gcc-4
with or without python
with or without mpi

No special LDFLAGS are required or changes to nrncygso.sh.in or install.sh
Note that LDFLAGS=-Wl,--enable-auto-import
is still needed (when using g++-4) for InterViews and mpich

You know things are at least minimally working if, after 'make mswin' you can launch
c:/marshalnrn/nrn/bin/nrniv
An Intermediate test is to launch from the build directory,
src/nrniv/nrniv
If that works but not the marshalnrn then something is still wrong with nrncygso.sh and/or instal.sh.
You can narrow that down between them by launching src/mswin/nrn after
cygIVhines-3.dll has been copied there.
If mknrndll does not successfully create a loadable nrnmech.dll file then something is probably
wrong with instal.sh
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

I am trying to test, but I have difficulties with autotools. cygwin has different versions of these tools and they conflict with each other. I decided to uninstall cygwin autotools and compile them from source (the requested versions as in NEURON's Latest Advances).
after running ./build.sh I configured the source with

./configure --prefix=`pwd` --with-iv=$IV CC="gcc-4.exe" CXX="g++-4.exe" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=core2 -fno-builtin -pipe" CFLAGS="-O3 -march=core2 -fno-builtin -pipe" LDFLAGS="-Wl,--enable-auto-import"
during configuration I noticed some fishy parts

checking whether g++-4.exe accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++-4.exe... gcc3
[b]sed: can't read /home/Keivan/neuron/nrn/src/nrnoc/nrnversion.h: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /home/Keivan/neuron/nrn/src/nrnoc/nrnversion.h: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /home/Keivan/neuron/nrn/src/nrnoc/nrnversion.h: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /home/Keivan/neuron/nrn/src/nrnoc/nrnversion.h: No such file or directory[/b]
Not trying to build rpms for your system (use --enable-rpm-rules to override) 
checking for gcc... gcc-4.exe
but configuration finished without error
Keivan

Post by Keivan »

compile finished successfully and nrniv loaded without error. bingoooooooo. Now I'm gooing to test. -->neurondemo works fine and my test model loaded and run without error.

Thank you hines. you are great. :)

I would test it further later