IPSP/EPSP

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
Dax42

IPSP/EPSP

Post by Dax42 »

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie to NEURON and just want to replicate some data from a paper.

So, I installed NEURON and downloaded the model they are using (Stuart and Spruston, 1998). Everything works fine so far.

Now they talk about simulating an IPSP by a conductance change with reversal potential of -69mV, located on the apical dendrite 250 um from soma and 50 nS.

How can I apply this?? The complexity of NEURON is overwhelming. Are the details above even enough to replicate what they are doing?

I had a look through some tutorials, but they are all mainly talking about setting up a model. Any help is highly appreciated.
Raj

Post by Raj »

From the 'NEURON main menu' you can goto 'tools->Point Processes->Managers->Point Group' after selecting this a graph pops up showing the pyramidal cell.

If you click 'Show All' and then select 'synampa' all the ampa synapses become visible in the left and middle panel. If in the middle panel you select a point process e.g. synampa[1] the corresponding data will be displayed at the right and the position lights up in red in the left panel.

Using the new button you can add a new synapse, for example an extra synampa. If after this you click in the left panel the synapse will move to the corresponding location on the pyramidal cell. In the right panel you can now adjust its properties. Give it an activation time 'onset' a maximum conductance 'gmax' and set the reversal potential 'e' and you are in business.

For the future you will have to work through some tutorials because the information about using the GUI is largely contained in tutorials explaining how to create models. The NEURON book advertised elsewhere on this website might also be a good investment.

Have fun exploring!

Raj