Transient A current

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
zhbrass

Transient A current

Post by zhbrass »

Hey,

I have been looking for a model in the ModelDB that implemented the transient A current for a long time, and I found one (Saraga et al 2003). I looke at some of the code that they used to implement the transient A current and tried to put it into a soma of my own model using a hoc file. However, when i typed in

Code: Select all

access soma
psection()
it did not mention anything about IA. Can you tell me how to implement the transient A current into my model, and is it possible to do so with the GUI?

-Zach
GTR

Post by GTR »

For MSWin users:

As far as the implementation in the GUI is concerned.
I hope you don't mean making IA channel via ChannelBuilder I am not sure if this can be done because of the complexities in the procedure block as I can see from IA in the model you mention from modelDB.

However If you want to incorporate this channel in the soma of your own model:
you can save the IA NMODL code in an editor (notepad,wordpad etc.) within the same folder that you have the file that contains the soma desription.
Compile this using mknrn.dll so as to automatically generate the .o file
and then go to:

Start / Programs / Neuron / mknrndll
This brings up a directory browser that can be used to navigate to the directory that contains the IA.mod file. When you get to the proper directory, click on the button labelled "Make nrnmech.dll".

and now if you double click on yor hoc file that contains the soma,
you will see in the interpreter that opens:

loading membrane mechanisms from nrnmech.dll
Additional mechanisms from files
and your IA mechanism is loaded.

As for the GUI you can see now IA (if you name it so) in the CellBuilder/Biophysics section on the left side,so you can tick into it to activate it for your soma.

Now I think you can import it via your hoc code:

Code: Select all

soma {
insert IA
}
But to be tottally sure wait for Ted's Reply!

George.
Last edited by GTR on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Transient A current

Post by ted »

zhbrass wrote:Can you tell me how to implement the transient A current into my model
Assuming that your Mac has the "software development environment" installed--

Put a copy of the mod file(s) whose mecahnisms you want to use into the folder where
you plan to develop your hoc and ses files. Drag and drop that folder onto the mknrndll
icon (it's in the same folder as the nrngui icon). This compiles the mod files and puts a
nrnmech.dll file in the same folder as the mod files. That nrnmech.dll file contains the
compiled mechanisms.

If all goes well, you can now drag & drop a hoc file from that folder onto the nrngui icon,
and NEURON will automatically read the nrnmech.dll from that same folder. All of the
mechanisms in it will be avialable to hoc and the GUI (for example, the Biophysics page
of the CellBuilder will show all of the new distributed mechanisms, and the new point
processes will all appear in the PointProcessManager's menu).

The most likely cause of failure would be if your Mac doesn't have the "software
development environment." See
Problem: Mknrndll does not work.
at this URL
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/neuron/insta ... aller.html