Modelling the connection of Izhikevich neurons

sm64

Modelling the connection of Izhikevich neurons

Post by sm64 »

Hi,

After many years working with ANN and GA's I am starting to look into SNN's as a means of furthering my understanding of comp neuroscience. My starting point are research literature and journals, I have gotten to the point where I would like to start reproducing some of the work I have read, specifically the paper "Encoding Real Values into Polychronous Spiking Networks" (it seems like a simple starting point).

I have created models of Izhikevich neurons and the model values and plots correspond appropriately with the literature based on the parameters for a, b, c and d for Fast Spiking, Regular Spiking values etc. What is not so clear is how the neurons are interconnected and how the spike of one contributes to the input value of the next connected neuron.

Simply, I understand (perhaps incorrectly) that when a Izhikevich neuron spikes, a voltage is produced that contributes to the input value of the connected neurons. An example voltage looks like the below.

I'm not sure how the voltage output is used to increase the input current of the connected Neuron. Is there some common resistance that I can use to calculate the current?

The second question is regarding delays between connected neurons, is the output voltage trace simply delayed by x milliseconds?

Any advice or pointers are much appreciated.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Modelling the connection of Izhikevich neurons

Post by ted »

sm64 wrote:I would like to start reproducing some of the work I have read, specifically the paper "Encoding Real Values into Polychronous Spiking Networks" (it seems like a simple starting point).
If it's a simple starting point, its author(s) will have included an unambiguous description of how synaptic connections were implemented. If you don't find such a description in the paper, pose your question directly to the author(s).