Issues with Saving and Retrieving

Using the graphical user interface to build and exercise models. Includes customizing the GUI by writing a little bit of hoc or Python
Martenzi

Issues with Saving and Retrieving

Post by Martenzi »

I followed the guidelines from the tutorial on how to save and retrieve sessions. I have only manage to auto-launch files from the ModelDB. I´m still learning how to compile mod files and which files to initiate properly. When I save the session that I auto-launched, I can´t locate the same file in the retrieving window?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Saving and Retrieving

Post by ted »

Martenzi wrote:When I save the session that I auto-launched, I can´t locate the same file in the retrieving window?
Do you know the name of the directory to which you saved the session file? When you run NEURON, do you know the name of the current working directory? NEURON can't "see" a file that isn't in its current working directory.

NEURON Main Menu / File / working dir
brings up a tool that you can use to find out what is the current working directory, and change to a new directory if necessary. If you start NEURON by double clicking on a file name or an icon, the working directory is the directory that contains that file or icon. If you start NEURON by clicking on NEURON's own icon, the working directory depends on whether you are using OS X, MSWin, or Linux, but it almost certainly is not a directory that contains any of your own files--you'll have to use the "working dir" tool to change to the proper directory.
Martenzi

Post by Martenzi »

Everything in the "notes" file helped out to solve the issue.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Martenzi wrote:Everything in the "notes" file helped out to solve the issue.
Excellent. Was there one thing that was most useful?
Martenzi

Post by Martenzi »

Yes. That you should type .hoc to the hoc files and that you use the accurate symbols.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Martenzi wrote:Yes. That you should type .hoc to the hoc files and that you use the accurate symbols.
To make sure I understand, tell me if you mean that
one should specify the complete file name, including the extension
and
case (upper vs. lower) matters, e.g. foo.hoc is not the same as Foo.hoc
Asma

Post by Asma »

Hello,

I saved my session with the graphs plotted. When I retrieve the session, only the axis are present but the graphs are not plotted. How to resolve this, please?

Asma
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

What happens if you launch a simulation?
Asma

Post by Asma »

Hello,

nothing happens.

to see something, I must close everything, recompile my .hoc file and launch the simulation . But for the session I saved, recompiling session and .hoc then retrieving or loading session doesn't work.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Session files contain code that recreates GUI objects, such as graphs and panels. Loading a session file will recreate the GUI objects that were saved to it. Loading a session file will not launch a simulation. To launch a simulation you must execute a command such as run() or continuerun() (h.run() or h.continuerun() in Python). Does that help you solve your problem?