Query:which subject is more important Maths or Physics?

Amlan

Query:which subject is more important Maths or Physics?

Post by Amlan »

2 study ComputationalNeuroscienc apart from ComputerScience which subject is more important Maths or Physics?
I am planning to study Computational Neuroscience, as I want to prepare exhaustively so I want to know which subject Physics or Mathematics is of most importance for the study. I have done Bachelor Of Technology In Computer Science.
ted
Site Admin

Re: Query:which subject is more important Maths or Physics?

Post by ted »

Ideal preparation would have a mix of both math and physics. What that mix should be depends on many factors, including (1) what you find most interesting (a student who is not interested will not do the best job of learning) and (2) the interests and expertise of your mentor(s) (a teacher who lacks interest or expertise cannot do the best job of teaching).

Other subjects may also be important. If you are interested in how real brains work, it would be useful to learn some neurobiology so you can at least talk with neuroscientists and understand what you read in the neuroscience literature.

As far as computer science is concerned--computer science is a huge field, and it contains a lot of topics that have nothing to do with computational neuroscience. You probably already know more comp sci than needed to do good comp neurosci. Good programming skills are helpful, so if you haven't already learned a modern programming language, pick one and learn it (Python would be a good choice). If you are interested in "neuroinformatics" then it would be useful to learn something about informatics--but for every bit you learn about informatics, make sure to learn twice as much about neurobiology.