Compiling Neuron 6.0 on Unix (Mac cluster)

christina

Compiling Neuron 6.0 on Unix (Mac cluster)

Post by christina »

Hi Ted and Michael,

I am eager to try out the new version of Neuron, but get an error when compiling it myself. We have a cluster of Mac G5 processors running OSX; I've always used your Unix/Linux compilation instructions to compile Neuron there with no trouble.

I put the IV & NRN tar files into a directory called 'nrn-6.0' off of my home directory, then created the 'iv' and 'nrn' subdirectories according to the compilation instructions on the Neuron site. I installed InterViews, then ran the configure command in the nrn directory - both seem to be OK. However, when I run the 'make' command in the nrn/ directory, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Making all in ivoc
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link --tag=CXX g++  -g -O2   -o ivoc  nrnmain.o ivocmain.o classreg.o datapath.o ocjump.o symdir.o ../oc/nocable.o ../oc/modlreg.o ../oc/libocxt.la ../oc/liboc.la libivoc.la ../nrnmpi/libnrnmpi.la ../memacs/libmemacs.la ../mesch/libmeschach.la ../gnu/libneuron_gnu.la  /private/var/automount/Users/christina/nrn-6.0/iv/powerpc/lib/libIVhines.la ../readline/libreadline.la -lncurses  
g++ -g -O2 -o .libs/ivoc nrnmain.o ivocmain.o classreg.o datapath.o ocjump.o symdir.o ../oc/nocable.o ../oc/modlreg.o -Wl,-bind_at_load  ../oc/.libs/libocxt.dylib ../oc/.libs/liboc.dylib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 ./.libs/libivoc.dylib ../nrnmpi/.libs/libnrnmpi.dylib ../memacs/.libs/libmemacs.dylib ../mesch/.libs/libmeschach.dylib ../gnu/.libs/libneuron_gnu.dylib /private/var/automount/Users/christina/nrn-6.0/iv/powerpc/lib/libIVhines.dylib ../readline/.libs/libreadline.dylib -lncurses
ld: Undefined symbols:
ListImpl_best_new_count(long, unsigned, unsigned)
make[3]: *** [ivoc] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any idea what's causing this?

By the way: since I downloaded the nrn tar file this morning, can I assume that the nrn-6.0.tar.gz I've got is the 6.0.2 version that Ted mentioned in his Friday night post to the Announcements list? Might this be the problem?

Thanks,
-Christina
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

ld: Undefined symbols:
ListImpl_best_new_count(long, unsigned, unsigned)
You have an old version of the iv-17.tar.gz file.
Since you did not say what the configure commands were that you used,
I cannot be certain, but it seems you need to completely delete your
InterViews and re-install.
christina

Post by christina »

Thanks Michael, that did it!

I didn't realize that a new version of InterViews had been released since the last time I downloaded it.

Now I'll try my hand at the new and improved NEURON!

-Christina :)