Windows 10, Permission Denied

n74jw

Windows 10, Permission Denied

Post by n74jw »

Hi,

Whenever I run nrngui from the shortcut folder on my desktop, and error is produced stating:

/cygdrive/c/nrn/bin/nrnpyenv.sh: line 141: /cygdrive/c/Users/n74jw/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/python3: Permission denied.

There is an "oc>" prompt at the end. I'm trying to drop an NRM file on top of the NEURON Main Menu window, but get a circle with a line through it. Python was installed with Anaconda. Would Windows Subsystem for Linux be a better tool for this?

Thanks!
ramcdougal

Re: Windows 10, Permission Denied

Post by ramcdougal »

You can't drop onto the main menu window directly, but I believe in Windows you can drop onto the icon.

Three other options:

(1) Select File - load hoc, change the filter from *.hoc to *.nrm, and then load your model that way.
(2) type (using the correct filename): load_file("filename.nrm")
(3) open Python, then

Code: Select all

from neuron import h, gui
h.load_file("filename.nrm")
If this doesn't solve your problem, can you provide some more information? Are you using the current 7.7.2 binary from the NEURON website? Given that you have an NRM file, does that mean you're using Neurons In Action, or where did this file come from?

Note that a WSL install is independent of a regular windows install. If you know what you're doing and have an x-server, you can run NEURON that way, but regardless you can't drop onto the main menu window. I wouldn't go down this road unless you have a good reason to.