NRN 7.4 on windows 10

asb

Re: NRN 7.4 on windows 10

Post by asb »

I been assuming that you cannot successfully double click on any hoc file Is that the case with
c:/nrn/demo/demo.hoc ?
Yes none of the hoc files seem to initialise within the demo folder either. On the other hand if I open 'NEURON Demo' directly from the shortcut folder it works fine.
asb

Post by asb »

I was unable to sort this out and ended up re-installing windows - this has fixed the problem

However I have now encountered a different issue (I was unsure whether to post it under this thread, as it is still relevant to windows 10, or create a new thread so apologies in advance!)
When I use braces { } at the prompt I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

oc>create soma
oc>soma{
>       oc>c:\nrn\bin\nrniv.exe: Segmentation violation
 near line 4
 ^
oc>func test(){
>       oc>c:\nrn\bin\nrniv.exe:
Unhandled Exception. This usually means a bad memory
address. It is not possible to make a judgment as to whether it is safe
to continue. If this happened while compiling a template, you will have to
quit.
 near line 5
 ^
oc>
However if I execute a hoc file that contains syntax with braces this works perfectly. Currently I use a python interpreter (which works fine....) so it is not a practical issue. I know of one other person with the same problem, who is also using windows 10, and thought I would see if anyone else has run into this.
Thanks in advance
patoorio

Post by patoorio »

Hi,

I'm running into the same issue. My workaround has been to replace the association of .hoc files to make them be opened with 'nrniv.exe' instead of neuron.exe. I think it works OK that way, though I don't know if some unexpected problem may arise later.
I'm wondering if this is related to the fact that I have installed Windows 10's bash system (kind of an Ubuntu sub-system within WIndows 10 that can be installed since the Anniversary Update). I haven't had the will to uninstall it to see if this is the case, specially now that I found this other workaround.

Regards

P.S. BTW, I took a long time to notice it, since I'm also more into the PyNeuron thing. I started to notice when I wanted to use the Neurons In Action 2 tutorials and got this error. At first I thought if was a NIA2 problem, but then I realized it was also a problem of the regular Neuron installation.
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

Hi Ted and Mike,

I am also getting an error running NEURON v7.4 (64 bit) on Windows 10 (64 bit).

When double-clicking a HOC file (with the blue AP icon, i.e. associated with neuron.exe), I get the following error:

bash.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

NEURON is installed the default directory (C:\nrn).
I can open nrngui.
I'm running my code from my desktop (so also on the C drive and no spaces in the path).
My labmate is getting the same error on his Windows 10 computer.
I get the same error with the 32-bit version of NEURON v7.4.
Associating & running the hoc file with nrniv.exe (instead of neuron.exe) does seem to fix the problem, as suggested by a previous poster. I also don't know if this might cause other issues.

Thanks,

Nikki
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

please try the latest 7.5 version at
http://www.neuron.yale.edu/ftp/neuron/versions/alpha/
If that does not work, I would suspect some old registry items are the problem. It was back in March 2015 that there was a change
that mentioned:
mingw mswin version handles hoc and nrnzip files. Setup.exe only changes
current user registry items.
I partly remember running regedit on a virtualbox guest to remove all the registry entries that mentioned nrn. However I've also
always heard warnings about modifying the registry by hand.
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

Thanks Mike! V7.5 seems to have resolved the issue. I'm using:

nrn-7.4.rel-1390.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup.exe

I don't think it's the registry issue you mentioned since this computer is new from a few months ago.

Thanks!

Nikki
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

Follow-up: I'm still getting the error sometimes. Not clear what causes it to happen or not. I can repeatedly double-click my HOC (associated with neuron.exe from v7.5), and sometimes I get the bash error window, other times the code will run.

Thanks,

Nikki
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

The installer sets up the association with the extension hoc by means of internal commands
WriteRegStr HKCU "${ASSOCPREFIX}.hoc" "" "NEURONFile"
WriteRegStr HKCU "${ASSOCPREFIX}NEURONFile\shell\open\command" "" '"$INSTDIR\bin${binsuffix}\neuron.exe" "%1"'

It would be nice to be able to eliminate the possibility that the problem is related to python by manually changing the association to
'"$INSTDIR\bin${binsuffix}\neuron.exe" "-nopython" "%1"'

Does anyone know how to do that on windows10?
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

I just realized that I installed a v7.4 as per my earlier post, but using that alpha link you sent:

nrn-7.4.rel-1390.x86_64-w64-mingw32-setup.exe

I didn't use the nrn-7.5 installer because it seemed to include python (as alluded to in your last post), which I don't use. But I didn't realize that the mingw installer was 7.4.

Let me know what would be helpful for me to try.

Thanks,

Nikki
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

If you do not use python in the sense that it is not in your path, then the 7.5 version should work fine without it and I would be interested in whether the problem continues to exist.