Installing Neuron on macOS Mojave

bschneiders

Installing Neuron on macOS Mojave

Post by bschneiders »

Hi, I updated to Mojave a couple months ago (unfortunately) and have not been able to get my model to run on Neuron since then. I've been using a Linux machine in the meantime, but I decided to give it a shot again on my own machine this past week - it'd be convenient to run it on my own laptop.

Last time, I had built Neuron from source code. This time, I tried both the packaged version and from source code. I uninstalled and reinstalled Anaconda2, and then downloaded the packaged version of Neuron 7.6. I tested nrngui, and also tried opening python and importing neuron, and they both worked. However, if I try to run my model it immediately seg faults. This was my original issue back in December. My model didn't seg fault before I updated.

So then I tried building from source code again. However, I have trouble when installing Neuron. No matter what configure options I use (I tried including "--with-readline=no", for example), I get the same following make error:

Code: Select all

duplicate symbol _nrnpy_o2loc_p_ in:
    .libs/point.o
    .libs/solve.o
ld: 1 duplicate symbol for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[4]: *** [libnrnoc.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does anyone know what I can do to get past this?
hines
Site Admin

Re: Installing Neuron on macOS Mojave

Post by hines »

Please do a git pull for nrn. A multiply defined function was introduced by
https://github.com/neuronsimulator/nrn/ ... e37123aa3c
and fixed by
https://github.com/neuronsimulator/nrn/ ... c586e23e6c
bschneiders

Post by bschneiders »

Thank you. With that, I get past the make error. Then, in the make install, I first was getting this error:

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
error: command 'g++' failed with exit status 1
I didn't see this error on the Neuron forum, but on other forums it seemed to only pop up with people that had updated to Mojave. It turns out that since I updated to Mojave, I needed to run the following to update my headers (after "xcode-select --install" but I had already installed that):

open /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg
With that installed, I was finally able to get past that issue. However, now I am stuck at the following error:

/Users/BritaBunnell/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/npy_1_7_deprecated_api.h:17:2: warning: 
      "Using deprecated NumPy API, disable it with "          "#define
      NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API NPY_1_7_API_VERSION" [-W#warnings]
#warning "Using deprecated NumPy API, disable it with " \
 ^
../../share/lib/python/neuron/rxd/geometry3d/ctng.cpp:815:14: fatal error: 
      'complex' file not found
    #include <complex>
             ^~~~~~~~~
2 warnings and 1 error generated.
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
Any suggestions? Thank you!
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

May want to update the xcode command line tools. Mine are Apple LLVM version 10.0.1 (see via gcc -v). Not the latest xcode but recent enough.
My Mojave is 10.14.5
bschneiders

Post by bschneiders »

Hmm. My xcode command line tools are Apple LLVM version 10.0.1, but my Mojave is 10.14.4, so maybe that needs to be updated. I'll see if that does it. Thanks!
bschneiders

Post by bschneiders »

By the way, thanks to help from Robert McDougal, I do have the packaged version of 7.6 working! For anyone else who was having issues with that on a Mac, it has been updated and it fixed what was causing my seg faults.