How can I set coupling conductance explicitly to separate incoming from outgoing current?

Particularly useful chunks of hoc and/or NMODL code. May be pedestrian or stunningly brilliant, may make you gasp or bring tears to your eyes, but always makes you think "I wish I had written that; I'm sure going to steal it."
szm2106

How can I set coupling conductance explicitly to separate incoming from outgoing current?

Post by szm2106 »

Hello,
For hypothesis testing purposes I'd like to have one compartment in the multi-compartment cell transmitting currents to all the connected compartments but not receiving current from all compartments. Is that doable in NEURON?

Ideally, I'd like to isolate a specific synaptic input from propagating to all compartments (this is to test the importance of back-propagating action potentials) but this may be too much to ask.

Thank you in advance
ted
Site Admin

Re: How can I set coupling conductance explicitly to separate incoming from outgoing current?

Post by ted »

For hypothesis testing purposes I'd like to have one compartment in the multi-compartment cell transmitting currents to all the connected compartments but not receiving current from all compartments. Is that doable in NEURON?
If I correctly understand what you want (and I'm assuming that you aren't thinking about rectifying gap junctions), my comment is that it's not doable in the real world because it violates the laws of physics (conservation of charge in particular). It can be implemented with a single instance of the gap mechanism described in gap.mod. You'll already have gap.mod on your computer if you installed NEURON from source code--look in nrn/share/examples/nrniv/nmodl for files called gap.* to see how to use it. If you didn't install from source code, download the gzipped tar file from the link at https://neuron.yale.edu/neuron/download/getstd and expand it.
I'd like to isolate a specific synaptic input from propagating to all compartments (this is to test the importance of back-propagating action potentials)
I don't see how this would be useful for doing that, but you don't have to convince me--just the reviewers who read your manuscript.