What sets the sys.path for nrniv -python?

When Python is the interpreter, what is a good
design for the interface to the basic NEURON
concepts.

Moderator: hines

aaronmil

What sets the sys.path for nrniv -python?

Post by aaronmil »

When I execute

Code: Select all

nrniv -python
then

import sys
sys.path
i get:

['', '', '', '/Users/milsteina', '/Applications/NEURON-7.3/nrn/lib/python', '/anaconda/lib', '/usr/lib/python27.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.7', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-darwin', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-mac', '/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/usr/Extras/lib/python', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages', '/Applications/NEURON-7.3/nrn/share/nrn/lib/python']
but when i just execute

python
then

import sys
sys.path
i get

['', '/Users/milsteina', '/Applications/NEURON-7.3/nrn/lib/python', '/anaconda/lib', '/anaconda/lib/python27.zip', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-darwin', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-mac', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Sphinx-1.2.3-py2.7.egg', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/runipy-0.1.1-py2.7.egg', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-7.0-py2.7.egg']
i need to be able to access the modules that are installed in the anaconda python, which seems configured correctly in my .bash_profile
aaronmil

Re: What sets the sys.path for nrniv -python?

Post by aaronmil »

Note:
I can get around this by first executing:

python
then

from neuron import gui
import sys
sys.path
which then gives me the access that i need

['', '/Users/milsteina', '/Applications/NEURON-7.3/nrn/lib/python', '/anaconda/lib', '/anaconda/lib/python27.zip', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-darwin', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-mac', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-tk', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-old', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Sphinx-1.2.3-py2.7.egg', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/runipy-0.1.1-py2.7.egg', '/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-7.0-py2.7.egg']
but i'm still curious where the other sys.path defaults come from. thanks.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

First a few questions.
Are you running NEURON under MSWin, Linux, or OS X?
Did you build NEURON from source code using --with-nrnpython, or did you install from a binary distribution i.e. a dmg or rpm?
aaronmil

Post by aaronmil »

ted wrote:First a few questions.
Are you running NEURON under MSWin, Linux, or OS X?
OS X
ted wrote:Did you build NEURON from source code using --with-nrnpython?
Yes. Come to think of it, I did not install the anaconda build of python until after I had installed NEURON. Is it now hard coded to refer to the previous python?
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

Either that, or else some post-compilation configuration script has done something that depends on the non-anaconda python. Looking at nrn/configure, I see

--with-nrnpython=desired python binary or 'dynamic'
                          Python interpreter can be used (default is NO)
                          Probably need to set PYLIBDIR to find libpython...
                          and PYINCDIR to find Python.h
which suggests you need to throw away what you built, then do
make clean
then set the indicated environment variables, and finally
./configure . . . other options . . . --with-nrnpython=pathtodesiredpythonbinary
make
make install

But you may want to wait to see if Robert McDougal or Michael Hines have other suggestions.
hines
Site Admin

Post by hines »

Did you build NEURON from source code using --with-nrnpython?
Yes. Come to think of it, I did not install the anaconda build of python until after I had installed NEURON. Is it now hard coded to refer to the previous python?
Yes. You need to rebuild if you installed from sources using --with-nrnpython.