Attributing code from users

What do funding agencies and journals say about data sharing, especially of models? What mechanisms for sharing models exist or are in the works?

Moderator: tom_morse

bagnall

Attributing code from users

Post by bagnall »

What's etiquette for proper attribution of code that I pick up on this forum? Specifically, I have used gartland's dynamic clamp model http://www.neuron.yale.edu/phpBB/viewto ... land#p5914 to attach synaptic conductances to my model. But I don't know who gartland is to credit him/her, and a quick pubmed of "gartland dynamic clamp" or "gartland neuron" didn't bring up anything useful. Should I simply state in the manuscript I am writing that we implemented a dynamic clamp electrode with custom-written code?
ted
Site Admin

Re: Attributing code from users

Post by ted »

Very decent of you to consider such attribution. Some of the pirates I have known would merely steal all the ideas they can and then publish them as their own. Arrrgh!

Most user profiles include an email address. To find a user's profile, search for a post by that user, then notice the little
"by whozits"
below the title of the post (upper left hand corner). Click on the
whozits
part and you'll see the user's profile, in the left side of which you may note a link for email and/or another link for "private messages" through the Forum's own messaging system.
bagnall

Re: Attributing code from users

Post by bagnall »

Thanks! It turned out I was able to ID him from the user name and location corresponding to reality, and so could contact him over email.