How to set up large network of gap junction coupled cells

NMODL and the Channel Builder.
lb5999

How to set up large network of gap junction coupled cells

Post by lb5999 »

Dear NEURON Forum,

I have a large network of cells that are gap-junction coupled; 318 cells in total. The cells are simply somas. The coupling between cells is determined by a coupling matrix; if cell and cell[j] are coupled, CouplingMatrix.x[j]=1, else =0.

This coupling matrix is strictly lower triangular.

I now want to use this matrix to set up all the gap junction connections in my network of cells. I use something like:

Code: Select all

// All cells coupled

load_file("All_morphology.hoc")

chdir("H:/models/beta/jo/")

load_file("gapjunction.hoc")

objectvar CoupledMatrix, CoupledFile
CoupledMatrix=new Matrix()
CoupledFile=new File()
CoupledFile.ropen("H4-1-1_CouplingMatrix.dat") // first line is NROW NCOL. Remove space from end of file.
CoupledMatrix.scanf(CoupledFile) // CoupledMatrix.x[2][1] = 1 so Cell[2].soma and Cell[1].soma are coupled.

objectvar gap[50244-1] // (318*318)/2-318 = elements in the strictly lower triangular matrix

k=1

for i=0, 159-1 {
for j=0, 318-1 {

gap = new gapjunction(cell[i],cell[j],0.5,0.5,0.0002*CoupledMatrix.x[i][j]) // 200pS

k=k+1

}
}

There are 318 cells, and so there are (318*159)-318 lower triangular entries, hence the iterations in the for loop. I think I have done this correctly, but I also feel that isn't the most efficient way of doing this. Many gap junctions have been generated, despite the gap junction conductance being 0. How do I make this code more sophisticated (and, I assume, the simulations faster), by only generating a gap junction point process when CoupledMatrix.x[j] is non-zero? Some kind of "if" statement?

Also, is this the most efficient way of handling such a large and complex (at least its one of the largest ones I have handled) network of coupled cells in NEURON? Any hints that would perhaps speed up simulations would be greatly appreciated.

Here is gapjunction.hoc:

Code: Select all

// makes a gap junction between 2 soma compartments
// $o1 - cell[1],
// $o2 - cell[2],
// $3, $4 - position within section1, section2
// $5 - gj conductance
begintemplate gapjunction
      public g
	  public setg, setcells, cell1, cell2
      objref con1, con2
      proc init() {
        objref con1, con2
        $o1.soma con1 = new Gap($3)
        $o2.soma con2 = new Gap($4)
        setpointer con1.vgap, $o2.soma.v($4)
        setpointer con2.vgap, $o1.soma.v($3)
		con1.g = $5
		con2.g = $5
      }
	 proc setg() { // change the gj conductance externally
        con1.g = $1
        con2.g = $1
      }
endtemplate gapjunction
Kind regards,
Linford
ted
Site Admin

Re: How to set up large network of gap junction coupled cell

Post by ted »

First suggestion is to create a gap junction only if its conductance will be nonzero.
Second is to keep track of the coupled cells by appending the cell ids (indices in this case) to a Vector (you might call this vector "coupled") at the time the junction is created. That way you'll know that gap junction i is associated with cells who indices are coupled[2*i] and coupled[2*i+1]. This is bound to work, regardless of the strategy you use to decide if a particular pair of cells is coupled (in your current example, it's quite easy to write a formula that generates the indices, but what if next week you decide to make random connections?).