Apical/Basal dendrites and Axon Collateral

The basics of how to develop, test, and use models.
Kvogt

Apical/Basal dendrites and Axon Collateral

Post by Kvogt »

Hello.

I am trying to create Pyramidal cells. The structure of which require Apical and Basal dendrites. I try to find if there is any existing procedure for them, but I didn't find any as I was looking through samples of the software. Could you please let me know how could I possibly create Apical and Basal dendrites as well as Axon Collateral in a code for a Pyramidal neuron. Is there any procedure or function already exists and if not how exactly can I create them?

Please ellaborate as much as possible as I am a new user.

Thank you in advance
ted
Site Admin

Re: Apical/Basal dendrites and Axon Collateral

Post by ted »

A computational model is an implementation of a conceptual model (a hypothesis). Some modelers' conceptual models of pyramidal cells reduce the entire cell to a "point cell" that has no spatial extent. No dendrites at all. Some conceptual models of pyramidal cells preserve all details of the branched architecture of the cell. Still others reduce one or more dendritic fields to one or more equivalent cylinders, with no branching at all or with only very simple branching patterns. If you want to do the latter, the easiest way to proceed is with the CellBuilder. On the Documentation page of NEURON's web site https://neuron.yale.edu/neuron/docs you'll find a link to tutorials about the CellBuilder.
Kvogt

Re: Apical/Basal dendrites and Axon Collateral

Post by Kvogt »

Dear ted,

Thank you