coupling compartment

Managing anatomically complex model cells with the CellBuilder. Importing morphometric data with NEURON's Import3D tool or Robert Cannon's CVAPP. Where to find detailed morphometric data.
mikey

coupling compartment

Post by mikey »

I want to make a coupling compartment between my soma and the dendritic tree - so I can control how "coupled" these 2 entities are.

BUT actually - what would be better is if I dont even have a coupling compartment - but a coupling parameter - a coupling resistance value. This way I dont have to be concerned with the compartment dimensions etc. - I just have a single coupling parameter. I post here because I am unsure how to code this in hoc.

Mainen and Sejnowski (1996) did do something like this (although the relevant code is not in modeldb) - where I got the idea of a coupling resistance value. A quote from their paper:

"The parameter K specifies the electrical resistance (coupling) between the two compartments."
Raj

Post by Raj »

The trick Mainen Sejnowski use is in ModelDB in the code for their 1996 paper. If you connect section A to the middle of a section B then axial resistance of section B does not contribute to the coupling between the sections A and B, and you can use this to control the coupling. The trick however only works smoothly for two compartment models.
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

There are at least two ways to insert a resitance between two sections. One
is to put a third section in between the other two, being careful to make the
dimensions and Ra of the intermediate section such that the desired
resistance is obtained; be sure to set that section's cm to 1e-9.
The other way is to literally use a resistor, in the Linear Circuit Builder.