place dot on neuron

Managing anatomically complex model cells with the CellBuilder. Importing morphometric data with NEURON's Import3D tool or Robert Cannon's CVAPP. Where to find detailed morphometric data.
pfortier

place dot on neuron

Post by pfortier »

I can view my anatomically detailed neuron using "Tools/Point Processes/Managers/Point Manager" and then by clicking on a section I see its section name and range.

How could I code the addition of a dot at a specific section and range so that I can visibly see where it is in the dendritic tree? How can I add several dots to see different selected sites in the dendritic tree?

Thanks,
Pierre
ted
Site Admin

Re: place dot on neuron

Post by ted »

Easiest is to create a new IClamp at each point of interest.
objref foo
secname foo = new IClamp(x)
where secname and x are the section name and location along that section.
pfortier

Post by pfortier »

I played around a bit with the GUI and determined the following which doesn't seem right.

I added an IClamp (let's say #5) at the tip of a dendrite section from the hoc console, as you indicated.
I accessed "Tools/Point Processes/Managers/Point Manager" but could not see the dot. So I selected "SelectPointProcess/IClamp" which seem to have created a new IClamp (let's say #6) without parameters. Menu "Show/Shape" was selected but the shape was not visible so I then selected "Show/Paramaters" and then "Show/Shape" to view the shape. The selected section had a dot for the IClamp[6]. Each section I clicked had a dot for IClamp[6]. Nothing for IClamp[5].

How can I show all the blue dots representing IClamps that were previously set through hoc? Can multiple colors be generated?

Thanks,
Pierre
ted
Site Admin

Post by ted »

I should have mentioned using the Shape class's point_mark() method to reveal the locations of the point processes. Sorry.

If plist is a List that contains all point process instances that you want to see,

Code: Select all

objref sh
sh = new Shape()
for ii=0,plist.count()-1 sh.point_mark(plist.o(ii), 2)
will put a red circle where each point process is attached.

Be sure to read the Programmer's Reference about the List and Shape classes, and the Shape class's point_mark() method.
pfortier

Post by pfortier »

That worked perfectly.
Thanks