fsyn()

Moderator: wwlytton

JeanMarc

fsyn()

Post by JeanMarc »

Hi All,

I downloaded an old model from ModelDB that uses the fsyn() function... I can't find it in the documentation/index.
Can anyone help? What does it do? what are the parameters? If it has been superseded, by what other function?

Thanks,
Jean-Marc
ted
Site Admin

Re: fsyn()

Post by ted »

Never heard of fsyn(). Doubtless some user-written function. Is it defined in any of the files that are part of that model entry where you found it?
ted
Site Admin

Re: fsyn()

Post by ted »

Aha, I violated the principle of RTFM. Sure enough, searching the Programmers' Reference for fsyn turns up a section on "Obsolete Stimuli" that mentions the (obsolete) function prstim() which is described as "obsolete. Print the info about fstim, fclamp, and fsyn". My own dusty paper archives include a 1994 manual by Moore and Hines and a 1996 "NEURON Reference" (predecessor of the Programmers' Reference), but neither of these mentions fsyn.

Michael Hines would know for sure, but my guess is that fsyn was roughly equivalent to an AlphaSyn, i.e. used to add a model of a synapse in the form of a reversal potential in series with a time varying conductance. Probably limited to generating a single conductance transient, and probably let the user specify reversal potential, maximum conductance change, time of onset, and time constant(s) that governed the time course of the transient. Does the model entry's code confirm this, or does the authors' manuscript say anything about how synaptic transmission was represented?